Friday, February 19, 2016

[WoW Post] Leensa's Guide to Holy Pally Healing.

For lack of a better place to put this - I shove it here.

Most of what I learned in healing, I learned playing a druid in Everquest and so every healer I've played since, I've based off that. So it's a mix of muscle memory and how an Everquest druid works. This is probably not the most efficient method of playing a holy paladin in World of Warcraft, but it works for me!

Above you can see my UI. It's a pretty standard UI. Yaks will mock it, but it works for me.

Top left is me. Aren't I a pretty little blood elf? (Snort.)

On the central left is the standard, built-in, raid UI. There are healing UI add-ons that enable mouse-over function so you can skip over the making of macros and stuff to do what I do, I just couldn't be arsed to learn them. They'd replace that UI.

Bottom left is the in game standard chat box. Ooo. Ahhh. Ohhh.

Bottom center is my hotkeys. I have them shrunk to 90% UI standard via the Dominos add-on. That's on top of my UI being shrunk via interface to 90%.

Top right is my chat box. All communication channels and emotes go up there so I'm not searching through spam for the important stuff. General chat often gets moved out of there while I'm raiding since people can be chatty and distracting when I'm trying to not dump green fel on top of the purple. (Apparently your raid mates get upset when you blow them all up.) This is a left over from EQ where I had something like 8 chat windows.

Center right is the hotkeys I never need to press in any particular hurry but am too lazy to dig up every time I want to use them.

All very exciting right?

The macros I use to heal people (etc) on mouse over are :

#showtooltip Flash of Light
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Flash of Light

#showtooltip Holy Light
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Holy Light

#showtooltip Eternal Flame
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Eternal Flame

#showtooltip Holy Shock
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Holy Shock

#showtooltip Holy Radiance
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Holy Radiance

#showtooltip Cleanse
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Cleanse

#showtooltip Lay on Hands
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Lay on Hands

#showtooltip Hand of Sacrifice
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Hand of Sacrifice

#showtooltip Hand of Protection
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Hand of Protection

#showtooltip Hand of Freedom
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Hand of Freedom

#showtooltip Redemption
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Redemption

#showtooltip Beacon of Light
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Beacon of Light

#showtooltip Beacon of Faith
/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@Leensa] Beacon of Faith
Change "Leensa" to your character's name if you copy them. These let you just move your mouse to the person you want to heal (or whatever.) and hit the relevant hotkey. I guess this reveals to Crunch I'm not ACTUALLY a full time clicker.

I'm told there's weirdos that change their talents around based on fights for more efficent healing. As I'm incredibly lazy, I don't do this. My talents are as follows :






So when to use what? There's a certain amount of "Spellflash says use this" that I'll use. Or if I'm being lazy I'll spam a group heal instead of using Holy Light. But the gist is :

Holy Light is your base spell. When in doubt, use this.


Bacon both tanks. (The Beacon of Faith talent gives you a second bacon.)

Cast Holy Light on both tanks during pre-pull to give them an absorption shield. (I mostly remember to do this.)

I generally heal peeps with Eternal Flame if it's up, Holy Light if it's not, when they get between 90 and 95 with a tank, then healer, then DPS priority. This'll top the person up and give them an absorption shield. If they hit 50 percent, I'll use Holy Shock, or Flash of Light if Holy Shock is down.

If a bunch of people are hurting, I'll fire off a Holy Prism if it's up. If half the raid looks like it's pain, I'll cast Light of Dawn or Holy Radiance if Light of Dawn is down.

I will use Lay on Hands if I notice someone is about to splatter across the landscape. Obviously I give tanks and healers the preference if I have to choose between two, but I'll throw it on just about anyone. (Even hunters.)

Avenging Wrath ("Give me pretty wings!") I'll use when the big ugly is doing his powerful stuff OR when a bunch of people are dropping rapidly.  I typically follow up with a bunch of Light of Dawn or Holy Radiances.

Devotion Aura I'll use when the raid leader tells me to (e.g. "First pounding, devo.") or when a majority of the raid hits about 50% and I need to buy time. A lot of the time I end up overkilling and using Avenging Wrath and Devotion Aura at the same time.

I will Hand of Sacrifice a tank when they hit fifty percent, especially if they're dropping fast.

I am trying, now, to Hand of Protection, my fellow healers if they're getting beat up. I'll also HoP random DPS during trash if they're being cocky about their DPS.

And finally Divine Shield (Bubble) when shit is going sideways and I am getting beat up big time.

When I have absolutely nothing else to do, I will throw Denounce at the big bad or his adds, along with a Fist of Justice on any mobs looking my way.

Yaks once gave the advice of 'Always be casting' and it is true! There's ALWAYS something you can be doing! Unless you're ret - then you're just waiting for cool downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment