Saturday, June 4, 2016

[Personal Rant] My problem with 'Hail Hydra'


    Ward: "I was on a mission. It wasn't personal."
    Skye: "It wasn't… you did not just say that! It wasn't personal?!"
    Ward: "Skye, listen to me."
    Skye: "God, you might actually believe that. You…that is… that is the twisted logic that they teach you when you sign up to be a Nazi."
    Ward: "Stop. Wait. I'm not a Nazi."
    Skye: "Yes, you are. That is exactly what you are. It's in the S.H.I.E.L.D. handbook, chapter one. The Red Skull—founder of HYDRA—was a big fat freakin' Nazi."
    Ward: "That has nothing to do with today."
    Skye: "You know, you always had that Hitler Youth look to you, so it's really not that surprising."
    -Ward and Skye discuss his loyalties, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

I wasn't going to post this. I wasn't going to continue to the rock the boat, but friend Dan made a post about how people can P*(&#! off about what he posts on HIS Facebook wall and I'm like.. y'know, what, damn straight! (Disclaimer : Dan used nicer terminology.) If I have something to say - I'm gonna say it. And if you don't like it, piss off. There's the door. I'll pretend to miss you when you leave. That's not to say I don't mind healthy discourse, but when it's just one person standing on the shoulders of privilege telling people to suck it up because it's "just whatever" .. I'm going to give them the middle finger.

So. A Facebook friend PM'd me to ask why I had a problem with the phrase Hail Hydra. (No, it wasn't who you may think it was.) In fact, they said 'You're not a Jew, why do you care?'  (This person is now blocked, btw). There's just so many things wrong with that statement and that question. Why do I have to be Jewish (or Romani, or any other minority the Nazis persecuted) to care about the horrors done to millions of people. (Yes white supremacists, bad news, they are in fact people.) Why do I have to be Jewish (or a PoC, or..) to care about the atrocities committed being turned into jokes and meme's? I don't think I have to be.

My issue with 'Hail Hydra' is the same as my issue with rape jokes. You're taking something that destroyed lives (and in this case, generations of families) and making light of it. You're dismissing the pain, the suffering, the horror endured, to make a joke, to gain some attention or to make a buck. It's no coincidence that Hydra was created by two Jewish men as a part of the Nazi army. It's no coincidence that 'Hail Hydra' is so similar to 'Hail Hitler.' When you remove the seriousness of an attrocity committed against other humans, it makes it seem like a less serious crime. (Sorry - 'It's not rape if you yell surprise first!' never was, and never will be, funny.)

So no, when it comes to that kind of 'humour' that is at the expense of the victims and those that suffered, you will find I will not 'lighten up.' I will not 'sit down and shut up' and I will not let people forget history to repeat it. If you want to think a thinly veiled 'Hail Hitler' is amusing, you go right ahead.. and I'll go right ahead thinking you're a spoiled, closed minded, bigot.

No comments:

Post a Comment